Thursday, January 27, 2011

From Good Girl to Great Woman (Read Time: 2 min.)


I've spent alot of my life trying to be a "good girl."  It's taken me 33 years to come to grips with a simple truth:
Being the good girl sucks. 

What is "good" anyway? 

I once had someone say to me, "Kass, you're really not that nice" and you know what?  She was right.  At 33, I've reached the point where I'm sick and tired of putting other people's needs, concerns, and desires before my own.  I'm tired of working hard to go above and beyond the call of duty so I can receive that pat on the book or hear those words of approval.  I now see that I've spent over 30 years of my life doing that because I wasn't getting the approval from the one person I needed to get it from most: ME. 

And so now I'm stepping up to the plate.  I love me more than anyone else.  I care for me better than anyone can.  I put my needs center stage and I don't apologize for it nor do I explain my motives.  I'm happy to say yes or no but as far as explaining to you (in great detail) why I feel the way that I do, you can take that where?  BACK THERE!

Because here's the truth: Far too many women spend their entire lives trying to be "good girls" and they miss the purpose of their own destiny which is to become a GREAT WOMAN.

Someone who's trying to perpetually be a "good girl" has no room to receive her great womanhood.  Why?  Because you can't be accommodating and fearless at the same time.  There's no room to grow if your goal is to fit into somebody else's box.  Your life has no room to expand into greatness if what you do, on a daily basis, is play small so someone else can feel big.  No, it doesn't work and the truth is, I had enough time being a little girl, living under the roles and rules of someone else's definition of "good."  My "good" is what I decide and the path that I'm on has very little to do with acceptance and a hell of a lot to do with adventure. 

My transition from good girl to great woman may have taken a litle longer than I would've liked but I am so grateful that I am now here... and NOT going back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The latest from Slideshare...