Saturday, December 10, 2011

The Body Ecology Experiment (Read Time: 3 min.)

Hot cocoa and gluten/wheat free chocolate chip cookies... what could be better? 

I've spent the last twelve days working through The Body Ecology Diet.  It's an interesting philosophy- shift your inner ecosystem, change your life.  I totally get it.  And, quite frankly, it works.  I have more energy and I feel like I do have a cleaner digestive system. 

The Body Ecology way of eating, however, is way too strict for my life.  I like the idea of waking up, drinking a green drink, having some warm water with lemon juice, and guzzling down 64 ounces of water before having some blueberries an hour later.  That passes a great deal of the morning so meal one typically happens around 9 am.  What I don't like is the utter restriction of it all, feeling like I can only eat certain things, not feeling free to have some hot cocoa and cookies when I'm PMSing or feeling too scared to have tator tots when I've cooked a big Sunday breakfast.

All in all, the lesson I've learned from this Body Ecology experiment is this: what works for one doesn't work for all.  Donna Gates says that clearly in the Body Ecology Diet book.  At the same time, how do you not feel like a failure when you fall off the bandwagon?

Here's how: commit to eating your way and own it. 

So here's my way of eating: 70% Body Ecology, 30% fun food.  That might be hot cocoa and cookies after a salmon/veggie/quinoa dinner or it might mean tator tots with egg whites and baby carrots on a Sunday morning or it might even mean (Heaven forbid) a slice of chocolate cake on New Year's Eve.  Either way, I'm giving myself permission to eat with my whole life (not just my whole body) in mind and, already, I feel like a winner:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The latest from Slideshare...