Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Only When I'm Tired Do I Miss Coffee (Read Time: 2 min.)

Today I'm sleep deprived.  William (my 7 year old) spent most of last night awake with the usual tough transition from staying up late over Christmas break to 'back to the 9:30 pm bedtime routine' and I got the special pleasure of waking up every half an hour to say "Will, go to sleep... Will, it's time for bed."  Add to that the fact that I woke up at 4:45 am to take TJ to swim practice and go run 2.75 miles at a semi-packed gym and you have one tired woman... and here's where I miss coffee.

There are lots of things I love about coffee: the smell, the taste, the fake dose of energy you get from it for a limited amount of time, the ability to carry around that Starbucks cup like a symbol to the world (Yes, I'm a coffee drinker here in Utah) but I only miss coffee like this when I'm so sleep deprived and feel so tired that any dose of energy feels like a boost in self esteem.

I don't like feeling tired.  I don't like feeling like I'm not energetically equipped to do everything I set out to do for the day and when days like this arrive (and with small children they do), I battle within myself between the dictator part of me that says "Do it all NO MATTER WHAT" and the kinder, more compassionate fairy godmother part of me that quietly says, "Do your best and get some rest." 

Which part do I listen to?

Well, I'm on my second cup of hot chocolate with marshmallows, I'm hoping to record two videos tonight, and I'm planning on an early bedtime.  We'll see who's voice I listen to in about 8 hours...

No comments:

Post a Comment

The latest from Slideshare...