Sunday, January 29, 2012

Is 1993 Old? (Read Time: 2 min.)

I was in Staples over the weekend and gave the cashier a 20 dollar bill.  She looked to be about 17 years old.  She looked at the bill and said, "Wow!  This is an old bill.  I can't remember the last time I saw a 20 dollar bill that looked like this.  I think I was six or seven."  As she took the 20, she looked on the front and back of it and then nodded, "1993... Yeah, that's old." 

That's probably the first time I actually felt "old."  I'm 34 so 1993, to me, was my sophomore year of high school, the year before I graduated high school as a junior.  I was 16 in 1994 so, to me, 1993 was my teenage years... it wasn't so far way.

But to this young girl, 1993 seems old.  It seems ancient.  Hmm... Am I getting ancient?  I think not.  What I've learned from this experience is the following:
1) "Old" is relative.
2) Teenagers still don't get it.
3) I'm as young as I choose to feel.
4) The next time I get an "old" twenty dollar bill, I'm saving it as a souvenir... or until it's really old enough to be worth something.





No comments:

Post a Comment

The latest from Slideshare...